Welcome to the Community Sailing School @ Pistakee. It is our honor and privilege to be able to serve the Chain O'Lakes community as sailing ambassadors. Our purpose is to envision, develop and deliver educational programs focused on sailing, leadership, the nautical arts, science, technology, engineering, math, conservation and ecology. We continually strive to achieve and maintain our mission, vision and the six core values of our sailing school as described below.
Serving on the Board of Directors is an essential and integral part of our sailing school. The Board members' volunteer service is truly a labor of love. The success of the Community Sailing School @ Pistakee can be attributed to their commitment, dedication and determination toward providing a fun, educational, quality sailing program for our students. We invite our friends and neighbors throughout our community to consider serving on the Board if that is something you would like to do. Please contact us for more details. Thank you!
BOARD OF DIRECTORS
Tom Kartheiser - Chairman
Open - Vice Chairman
Tom Kartheiser (acting) - Treasurer
Kathleen Winkiel - Secretary
Cortney Kingsley - Director
Kate Kuehn-Habben - Director
Sally Lucke-Elkes - Director
Julie Salvucci - Director
CSS@P’s mission is to serve the Chain O’Lakes region as a regional learning center. We partner with non-profit organizations to continually create and deliver life-changing experiences for people of all ages and abilities. We bring the unique growth experience and challenge of learning to sail to all people in our community, regardless of background, ability and financial considerations.
We power up people to create and sustain a thriving community of sailors in Northern Illinois. We spark personal growth and development by pushing ourselves and others to reach new heights, to overcome fears and to seize possibility. We power up kids of all ages by bringing out their innermost talents and gifts. We mentor and develop future leaders in our community and across the country in many fields and disciplines. We make this happen by tirelessly volunteering, building on prior success and capabilities, fundraising, community service and program development, to constantly expand our community outreach and impact.
OUR CORE VALUES
- Inclusion – Any and all members of the community are encouraged and welcome to participate in sailing instruction and any and all functions and events.
- Stewardship – We leverage our natural resources of the Chain O'Lakes as we teach respect and stewardship of these scarce resources.
- Pay It Forward – The Community Sailing School @ Pistakee is a platform to give back to the community for the mutual benefit of all, especially focused on the youth and future generations. We award grants which provide the highly unique developmental experience of sailing for those students that can demonstrate a need for financial assistance.
- Personal Development – We teach and enable individual growth, personal responsibility, accountability, teamwork, voluntarism and leadership.
- Safety and Professionalism – We foster and ensure a safe environment, focused on best practices and attention to detail. In practice, we provide professional training and certification for our instructors and staff.
- Collaboration with Learning and Nonprofit Organizations – We leverage sailing and related water activities as a medium for strengthening area schools and developing humans to reach their potential. We develop and run STEM initiatives and high school sailing programs, as well as other related educational programs and events for the benefit of our communities. We encourage schools and other learning and nonprofit organizations to partner with us to serve the Chain O'Lakes area as a Regional Learning Center.