Welcome to our Instructor Info page. It is easy to access. Simply add the following to our website URL - www.commsailpistakee.org/instructors. You can even bookmark it! We will use this page to keep you up-to-date with such things as our Staff Calendar, news bulletins and useful resources. Please check back often. We also invite you to submit requests for any additional content you would like to see. Thanks! :)
INSTRUCTOR SELF-REFLECTION SURVEY - Please complete and submit the online SURVEY by MONDAY, JUNE 5th. Text John at 815-382-1834 when you submit it.
STEM ACTIVITIES - INFO & MATERIALS - Please check out the various STEM materials available for your use on those rainy days. You will be glad you did!
- 6/29/23 - WE ARE INTO WEEK FIVE OF THE SEASON ... WAY TO GO!
- 5/12/23 - Get ready for our Staff Training Week being held from Tuesday, May 30th thru Friday, June 3rd from 9:00am - 3:00pm.
- 4/17/23 - The date for our Staff Orientation Night is Saturday, May 13th from 7:00 - 9:00. Please try to keep the date open. Please refer to our Staff Calendar below for further details.
- 3/24/23 - The CPR Refresher Course is scheduled for Saturday, May 6th from 8:00 - 11:00
- 3/3/23 - Our annual Cortney's Sailing Corner will be held on a Friday in June, in conjunction with one of our Sailing Camp classes. Please refer to our Staff Calendar below for further details.
- 2/14/23 - Anyone planning on taking the US Sailing Level 1 Course, NOW is the time to register!
- All employees must complete an IRS Form W-4 prior to being paid. Please click here to download a copy. You can fill out the PDF by clicking on each box in the document. You can then email the completed form to our Program Director.
- All instructors are required to have an up-to-date US Sailing SafeSport certification before the start of the season. It is a free course. Registration details can be found here.
- All instructors are required to have an up-to-date Safe Boating certification before the start of the season. It can be done in person or online. Click here to register for the online course.
- All instructors are required to have an up-to-date CPR / FirstAid / AED certification before the start of the season. You can do it on your own, or as a part of our annual instructor refresher class.
- All instructors are encouraged to achieve their US Sailing Level 1 Small Boat Instructor certification. It is a two-part process, online and in person. Click here for more information, or to register for the course. Funds are available to help offset the course fees. PLEASE NOTE, EARLY COURSE REGISTRATION IS ESSENTIAL!
2023 STAFF CALENDAR
Welcome to the 2023 sailing season! We are very excited to have you aboard. In order to help you with your planning and preparation for a fun and hopefully rewarding season, we have scheduled a variety of events and workshops for your benefit. We encourage you to take advantage of them. There are also certain requirements that you need to have in order prior to the start of the season. Be sure to take care of all necessary certifications by registering for them and completing them asap! Remember, we are here to support you. Please feel free to contact us with any questions you might have. Thank you for being an integral part of the Community Sailing School @ Pistakee!
- US Sailing Small Boat Level 1 Instructor Certification - The course is divided into two sections - online and in-person. You need to register for the online course before you can register for the in-person course. Details on the registration process and course info can be found here. Please let us know if you have any questions.
- Illinois Safe Boating Certification - All instructors are required to be up-to-date with their certification. If it will expire before the start of the season, please complete a safe boating course before the start of the season. It can be done in person or online. Click here for registration info. Don’t procrastinate!
- US Sailing SafeSport Certification - All instructors are required to be up-to-date with their certification. If it will expire before the start of the season, please complete the online SafeSport class. It is a free course. Registration details can be found here.
- PYC Lift In Day - Saturday, April 22nd (Rain date April 29th) - We will be on site for the general opening of the Pistakee Yacht Club. Sailing school tasks will include helping with the clubhouse seasonal opening by cleaning and organizing our storage room and classroom space, the inspection of our boats, sails and equipment to determine their condition. We also plan to begin with some initial boat rigging activities, including with some of our new fleet additions.
- CPR / First Aid / AED Certification - Saturday, May 6th, 8:00am - 11:00am - All instructors are required to be up-to-date with their certification. If it will expire before the start of the season, please get certified. We will be offering a refresher course on CPR / First Aid / AED use for your benefit. This refresher course is meant as a review of the course content. It is not a certification course. Please contact us if you plan to take the course.
- CSS Staff Orientation Night - Saturday, May 13th, 7:00pm - 9:00pm - Please mark your calendar! You are invited to our 2023 sailing season Kick Off Party! We would love to get our season underway by providing you with the opportunity to socialize and catch up on the latest and greatest sailing school news and events! We promise that you will find it time well spent. Who knows, you might even win a door prize! Stay tuned for details!
- Staff Training Week - May 30th, June 1st to 3rd, 9:00am - 3:00pm - All instructors are required to participate in our four-day paid Staff Training Week. We will cover a variety of topics, including professional behavior, teaching tips, safety protocols, chalk talks, lesson activities, STEM modules, skiff and jet ski operations, final facility preparations, equipment checks and celebrating the start of our season, among other things.
- Racing Rules & Skills Course - May 30th, June 1st to 3rd, 4:00pm - 8:00pm - This is our first evening course of the season. You are welcome to register for it.
- Staff Training Week, cont. - June 1st to 3rd - See May calendar for more details.
- Racing Rules & Skills Course, cont. - June 1st to 3rd, 4:00pm - 8:00pm - This is our first evening course of the season. You are welcome to register for it.
- Cortney's Sailing Corner - It is scheduled for a Friday, June 9th. It will be held in conjunction with one of our regular Sailing Camp classes. Cortney's Sailing Corner is designed for those individuals who are ready to be part of a group experience, where they can make new friends, or need financial help to enjoy a free day of sailing. Eligible participants apply for a grant to see if they qualify. Please let us know if you are interested in volunteering your time toward this worthwhile cause.
- US Sailing Level 1 Course at the Columbia Yacht Club, Chicago - June 2nd to June 4th -This is the in person part of the Level 1 course.
- Start of the 2023 Sailing Season - Monday, June 5th - All hands on deck!
- Mid-Season Review and Reflection
- End-of-Season Review and Reflection
- It's time to celebrate! :)
- It's time to relax! :)